Occasional Communication: UNM Budgets and Bringing Back the Pack

July 17, 2020 - Nancy Shane

30th Anniversary Staff Picture

UNM Budgets

Let’s get straight to it. At its meeting on Tuesday, the Regents approved the revised FY2021 Budgets for both Health Sciences and Main & Branch Campuses. These budgets represent projected losses of $11M and $33.5M, respectively. As well, the state may cut FY2021 budgets again; and in FY2022, New Mexico may be in an even tighter economic bind. For now, these projected losses represent a 4%-6% reduction in state appropriations; additional cuts due to the CARES Stimulus swaps; a larger-than-expected drop in enrollment; and the complete loss of the 4% mass salary update that the Government Relations, prior President Ryan Gregg, and others had worked so hard for. To date I have not heard staff complaining about that hard reality. There seems to be a willingness to take our fair share of the burden. It is also true that many offices still feel short-staffed compared to five years ago and that the increase in health care premiums will hit those with families the hardest.

Now what happens? The administration is cutting some of their central costs; and soon Deans will be advised of their required cuts. They will pass their instructions to Departments and Units. I have asked three things. Although I understand my single experience with Budget Leadership Team may not be typical, I think we can implement a better model for shared governance in that body, one that allows all participants to voice priorities with a clearer voice.

Second, I am impressed with the values and strategies that the Budget Leadership Team is supposed to use; I want to make sure everyone who is making budget decisions is asked to do the same. Third and relatedly, I think we would all like to know if there are any types of cuts that will simply not be allowed.

Bringing Back the Pack

If you are finding it hard to keep up with what is happening regarding the return to full operations, I don’ t blame you. I have heard many frustrations. Planning is tricky when, first, so many new processes are having to be developed; and second, when so much is depends on how the COVID-19 pandemic progresses in the state, a daily assessment. But we can take a little more care when it comes to communication to ensure that everyone receives every pertinent detail. Please know that the Staff Return to Campus Guide is available in both English and Spanish, as is the Bringing Back the Pack training in Learning Central. You may also like to refer to the Department Guide, Emergency Paid Sick Leave policy, travel and compliance guidelines, and other resources—all have links here.  

Need Your Feedback

If there is anything I have learned this past month, it is that it isn’t nice for Staff Council to hear staff frustrations, questions, worries, ideas, and satisfactions; it is imperative! We cannot take different perspectives into consideration unless we know of them. So please don’t be shy. You can contact your grade or precinct representative, the Staff Council Administrator, Amy Hawkins, or me.

I’ll be writing to you again next week after the Staff Council Business meeting with more news and reflections. Be well; fight the good fight; and stay in touch.

Respectfully,

Nancy L. Shane
Program Evaluator | School of Medicine
President | UNM Staff Council
nlshane@salud.unm.edu 
scpresident@unm.edu

Commenting is not available for this post.

Physical Address
Hokona - Zuni Room 302
Phone: (505) 277-1532
Email: scouncil@unm.edu 

Mailing Address

UNM Staff Council
Hokona-Zuni Rm 302 MSC02 1560
1 University of New Mexico
AlbuquerqueNM 87131-0001