President's Report to the Staff Council

July 19, 2016 - Danelle Callan, Staff Council President

Dear Staff Council Representatives,

As we approach the start of a new fall semester, I would like to thank our staff for their hard work and ability to wear multiple hats among their various job duties in support of UNM’s mission and values. As we move into another fiscal year of possible state budget cuts and unsure enrollment numbers, I want to be as transparent as possible when new information comes out from UNM leadership.

UNM leadership is moving forward with their consolidation ideas, position reviews, and movement to unite UNM and HSC as a single entity. I understand the concern that staff feel regarding this process as articles come out in the Albuquerque Journal and rumors spread around campuses. To be honest there is not a lot of information for me to share at this time because so many decisions are contingent upon items that staff have little control over. What I ask is for staff to concentrate on what we can control. As new students, parents, faculty, and staff arrive on this campus, we all embody the potential UNM has to offer. Recognize the good and embrace the uncertainty, because it makes us who we are and builds the character we take home to our families, friends, and communities.

As Staff Council President, I sometimes find myself deeply moved by the stories I hear from staff about the amazing things they have accomplished and the hardships they have endured. We are a community and I would like to share these stories with leadership and possibly the legislature as we move closer to the long session, which will start after the New Year. Our stories give us strength by demonstrating what we have accomplished for those we serve and help us to identify the benefits we need to preserve. Please share your stories on our Facebook, Twitter, and email so I can share with leadership and law makers the value that UNM staff bring to the university and to the state. 

In closing, during times of adversity I think about a quote from Jim Rohn, a motivational speaker on life, leadership, and business:The challenge of leadership is to be strong, but not rude: be kind, but not weak: be bold, but not a bully: be thoughtful, but not lazy: but humble, but not timid: be proud, but not arrogant: have humor, but without folly. 

Thank you, staff, for all you do.  Also, please help in recognizing the hard work of our Jim Davis awardees for meritorious service: Lisa Walden and Mark Reynolds

Quick Links

UNM Staff Council
MSC02 1560
1 University of New Mexico
AlbuquerqueNM 87131

Physical Location:
Hokona Hall-Zuni
Room 302

Phone: (505) 277-1532
Fax: (505) 277-1313
scouncil@unm.edu